RE: Xy on a flash drive

Title: RE: Xy on a flash drive

Here's a solution proposed a few months ago (it also refers to another solution that can be found by searching on the word "portable" in the archive database):

** Reply to message from cld@xxxxxxxx (Carl Distefano) on Sat, 2 Nov 2002 00:19:56 -0500

May I offer an alternative approach to a "portable" XyWrite?

This may appeal to someone who doesn't want to change the
way XyWrite loads, and/or finds that s/he wants to set a
large number of variables.  The basic idea is to make all
your configuration file (DFL, INT, PRN, REG, etc) settings point at an unused drive like Z:, and then use DOS's SUBST command to redirect the XyWrite's d:\path (and subdir

tree) to the root directory of Z:.  There are advantages compared to Carl's method, and also disadvantages, but in general I find it easier.  All my installations point at Z:, which means that I can take any file from one machine and put it on any other machine, transparently.

I also have a second kind of installation, pointing at Z:, which I burn to CDs.  I can carry the CD into an Internet Cafe, or to anybody's machine, and presto I have my own Editor, with all my personal configurations, looking just like it does at home, instantly available.  You can read/write/edit files anywhere on the host machine.  It even AutoRuns when I put the CD in the drive, on machines that haven't disabled that.  But this is a trickier thing to set up, because normally XyWrite wants to write Temp files in the current directory, or in the same directory as Editor, and of course a CD is Read-Only (so the configuration can't be altered).  Overcoming that requires editing a few files, like changing many U2 VA$ED specs to VADR, and being careful that files that use indexes (DLG, U2) have an index written after the EOF character before you put them on CD; still, when you get it all adjusted, it works.  If you travel a lot, it's mighty handy; you can also stick all your favorite utilities on the CD, and simply temporarily add Z:\ to the DOS PATH.

The disadavantages are, generally, that Z: might already be
in use (mapped to a network drive, etc), or that access to
C:\ (where I write my Temp files, on the theory that it must
exist) might be restricted to guest users on a public
machine (e.g. at Kinkos) because they don't want you mucking with the operating system files, or that access to DOS might be disallowed to your class of user on a public machine. But restrictions like that are rare on personal machines.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx