Split screen [was Re: Quick question]

Reply to note from Judith Davidsen  Wed, 11
Apr 2001 00:49:08 -0400

> What is split screen used for? Seems to have a lot of
> potential, but I can't find anything in the manuals, and I
> can't figure out what combination of keystrokes will take me
> into the blank half of the screen.

This thread started with a typical use for a split screen. On
9 Apr 2001, Alexander Hellemans wrote:

> I'm using XYwrite for Windows to create a final draft in Window 1
> from a long file of interview transcript notes in Window 2,
> using define (F1) and copy (F7), and by switching between windows
> with Alt-F10.

Get the idea? You have the relevant parts of two files visible on
screen simultaneously. Edit one or the other file (switching
between the two with func AS), CoPy or MoVe text between the two
files, etc., etc. Immensely useful.

Since I know that you (Judith) are running Xy4 with the Jumbo U2,
all you need do to see the split screen in action is open two files
and execute WT several times in succession. This gives you
a 3-way Window Toggle between horizontal split, vertical split and
full screen. As noted above, to switch between the two Alternate
Screens, use func AS -- often assigned to Alt-F10, but you can map
it to any key with nn=AS.

In XyWin, the keyboard macros for horizontal and vertical splits
are, respectively:

nn=MW,a,h
nn=MW,a,v

Note that the Microsoft Windows (MW) function splits the screen
horizontally or vertically among *all* open windows. With only two
files open, you should get the same effect as WT gives in
Xy4DOS.

By the way, the Jumbo U2 lets you edit two parts of the *same* file
in two alternate screens, with changes made in one window
automatically reflected in the other window when you toggle to it
with SBS. SBS stands for Side By Side; command
HELP SBS for details.

Needless to say, once you've used SBS to summon two views of the
same file, you can then issue WT to split the screen horizontally or
vertically, so that both views are visible (as well as editable).

A couple of other U2 routines are worth mentioning in this context.
FINDDIFF flags the differences between two files in adjacent
windows. LISTDIFF lists the differences in a standalone report.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx