Re: Split screen [was Re: Quick question]

Carl Distefano wrote:

> Reply to note from Judith Davidsen  Wed, 11
> Apr 2001 00:49:08 -0400
>
> > What is split screen used for?
>
> You have the relevant parts of two files visible on
> screen simultaneously. Edit one or the other file (switching
> between the two with func AS), CoPy or MoVe text between the two
> files, etc., etc. Immensely useful.

Yes, indeed. I've had the following two lines in STARTUP since the XY-3
days, because I use the over-under Compare / Edit process often enough.
(But I've never found much practical use for a Vertical Split.)

  BC Window 5,0,1,80,11
  BC Window 6,0,12,80,10

A good example for this would be comparing two versions of a CONFIG
file, such as the one for OS/2, which tends to be lengthy and complex,
esp. after installing and updating your app.s for a couple years, with
assorted tweaks along the way. Some app.s can make changes there that
you're not necessarily aware of. And subtle differences in this file
can be quite important.

> By the way, the Jumbo U2 lets you edit two parts of the *same* file
> in two alternate screens, with changes made in one window
> automatically reflected in the other window when you toggle to it
> with SBS. SBS stands for Side By Side; command
> HELP SBS for details.
>
> A couple of other U2 routines are worth mentioning in this context.
> FINDDIFF flags the differences between two files in adjacent
> windows. LISTDIFF lists the differences in a standalone report.

Up until now, I have generally managed quite well with the File Diff. /
File Match functions -- by default mapped to Ctrl- / Ctrl= , I think --
but, as usual, I'm sure you have taken this to a whole 'nother level in
U2. Will make a note to check that out.

Jordan