For Kenneth Frank: Long Filenames et al.

For: Kenneth Frank
   ======= =====
Dear Ken (may I?):

Suggestion: Why not enhance XyWrite to manipulate long file and
path names, i.e. of the HPFS (High Performance File
System) type. EDITOR runs extremely well under HPFS
(lightning speed), but the FAT naming conventions are crippling.
It seems to me that you'd get a considerable modernization bang
for not-too-many bucks. Frankly, I'm not as concerned whether
XyWrite is native to any particular OS platform -- DOS is fine by
me, it keeps the overhead down -- as whether it *works*! And
when EDITOR can't read plain
-text files, or can't fetch them from the upper limbs of a
directory tree sprouting long pathnames (whew), it's a problem
that the user often can't fix (except very laboriously).

I want to compliment you for doggedly pursuing the outstanding
problems in Xy4DOS. It's become a very satisfying program. I
wish I could say the same about
XyWin; from my perspective, the rigid adherence to Windows
keyboard conventions, and the lousy OEM font, are fatal. I want
absolute interoperability XyDOS<==>XyWin, at least as to
keyboards, and at present very short.

Is this where you hang out? Why don't you ever visit your own
BBS? Or read the traffic there?

=======
Robert Holmgren holmgrn@xxxxxxxx
=======