Re: Discretionary Hyphen--again

Reply to note from Patricia M Godfrey  Sun, 24
Aug 2003 13:12:56 -0400

> I set ASC 127 (the "small house" or home plate) to be my DH in
> SETTINGS.DFL, and assigned it to ALT- in my keyboard file.
> Works fine in ordinary text, but in an endnote, the graphic ...
> comes up.

That *is* weird. I take it your KBD file assignment is a plain-
vanilla 1-byte Ascii-127?

Does it happen in all endnotes, or only in relatively long ones?

In a pinch, I'd toggle into eXPanded view, hit your Discretionary
Hyphen key, then toggle back. Or try the following U2 command
(position the cursor in text before you hit ):

PUTCHAR 127d,1

If neither of those works, something's really kerflooey.

Recall that -- this may or may not be relevant -- once you've set DH
to a given 1-byte character, the keypad method (Ctrl+Alt+1,2,7, or
whatever) will only produce the printable (3-byte) version of that
character, not the DH control character. This is, actually, a
feature.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx