Re: Yet another XyWrite mention

On 11/16/04, Jordan wrote:

≪NB purchased the rights to Xy...there is no reason why they would be inclined to relinquish the old code. Doing so might even undermine their patent, or something.≫ Well, perhaps not. After all, NB's stock in trade has always been the apparatus criticus add-ons, Ibid and Orbis, no? Perhaps if they did not have to struggle with bringing the basic XyWrite engine into the 32-bit (and soon 64-bit) world, they could concentrate on their "core competency" (as MBA-speak would put it). I believe the GPL does make provision for add-ons that you can charge for. Meanwhile, Xy, properly rewritten (i.e., in Assembler) to modern environments, could become a starting point for a lot of other things, besides being the text editor-word processor we all love: a programmer's editor (combined with appropriate compilers; even I have managed some snazzy results by pairing it with dBase 5 for DOS); a starting point for a character-based DTP app (which is badly needed: if you want to print a text-only book you have to wrestle with frames and overlays and masks and a whole lot of visual stuff that is maddeningly unnituitable to a word person), XML output, even PDF (well, we already have that with Ghostscript).

Patricia M. Godfrey PMGodfrey@xxxxxxxx