Re: Buying a Notebook (non-XW)

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Beeson, Douglas wrote:

> I use both XyWin and WPWin and must say I favor the superior
technology, > limited marketing approach for home and personal
use, but could be persuaded > to take the inferior technology,
better marketing support route for the > office. WPWin is fairly
intuitive and easy to use, not as good as Word 6.0 > in my view,
but does offer the advantage of directly viewable (but not >
editable) codes.

Interesting. I don't care much about editing codes--I don't do
much of that. Which version of WP/Win are you using? Is it
significantly slower than XyWin?

Comparing the two word processors, what are Xy/Win's primary
strengths and weaknesses? When I played with WP/Win on my wife's
office laptop, I was very surprised at its speed...I expected
somthing entirely kludgy, and on her 25 MHZ 486, it seemed
fairly quick--not exactly nimble, but not like the last Windows
word processor I tried.
 > One last note: As a XyWrite aficionado you must have
encountered file > translation problems when transfering from
one word processor to another.

That's also not a major consideration. With Xy/DOS 4.014, the
file format filters don't seem to work at all. I can't translate
saved E-mail from straight ascii to XyWrite's version of ascii ,
or g o in the reverse direction; I have to use the old strip.prn
method. The techie at TTG said that they knew about the problem,
but I've never heard about a fix.

jb