Problems with Microlytics dictionary in XY4

I have found a persistent problem trying to run the Microlytics dictionary with XY4.  (The problem is with the UK dictionary, not the US, though it may apply to other non-US dictionaries too.)  Always, after a certain number of queries in a file the dictionary operation causes either XY4 to hang or a Windows error.  The number of queries may vary from file to file - at the moment it is around 100 or so, but it has been as low as 20 in the past.  Once I managed to obtain an XY error message which was as follows:

Disk is full.  Cannot create overflow file

The disk is not full, however.  There is about 17GB of free space.

This appears to happen primarly under Win9x, but not I believe under NTetc.  However today I found that I get exactly the same behaviour running XY4 under DOS (the version underlying Win98se).  You may wonder why I should want to run Microlytics.  The reason is that I use more than 25 lines on my screen and the IBM dictionaries behave very erratically.  Sometimes they cover the word being corrected; sometimes the dictionary disappears off screen, sometimes the word to be corrected.  So, I would prefer the Microlytics which is much more predictable ...  But.

Has anyone else got any ideas,

Paul