Re: available memory

Flash,
It's almost impossible to get rid of that "X," which means that XY has created temporary overflow files. It's a flaw in the program, but according to the most expert users, not a fatal one or one worth worrying about. Loading a two-page letter is enough to bring it up in XY4 (depending on what else you have loaded on startup, especially save-gets). I recall, perhaps four or five years ago, a few of us took on the challenge of trying to strip down XY4 so that we could get rid of it, at least to the point where we could forestall its appearance while working on average-sized documents. But Robert finally said something like, "Yes, the X is always there. It was there the first day I used XY4, and it's been there since. So what. XY4 works; just ignore the X." If I'm not mistaken, that's the modus operandi. There were a lot of messages on this issue, and you might look in XySearch. When I'm home, I'll pull out a folder where I printed out some of the information and get back to you.
There is an important function call (if that's not the wrong category)
that returns memory usage for XY4, and Robert and Patricia both suggested
ideal states and thresholds for the numeric value that the call returns.
I don't have it memorized but will look it up at home. Patricia knows that
one well, and perhaps can remind us. It would help you test the results
of your loading and unloading components and to decide what is worth
ditching. These are XY4 settings, not OS settings. As I recall, you can
manipulate your RAM endlessly without affecting that "X."

Carlo

 > --- flash  wrote:
If I'm remembering this right, selectively killing Xy
components was quite doable and straightforward in Xy3
(from Xy's "In Memory" screen, or whatever it was
actually called), but this feature went away in Xy4 .
. . unless there were some U2 manipulations I'm not
aware of.

Much more often in Win than under OS/2 | eCS, I am
surprised to see that loading a non-huge document
still brings up the dreaded "X" at the far right on
the Command Line. This suggests to me that I never
did optimize all the OS memory settings, which I could
and should have done, back in the day. At least a
couple times, I think Carl or Robert posted all the
recommended memory settings here. High time to look
those up and double-check.