Re: upgrading xywwweb under OS/2

Reply to note from "Raphael Tennenbaum"  Sun,
18 Jan 2009 09:50:59 -0500 (EST)

Rafe:

> now that I'm back up to date with the latest XYWWWEB on the
> Ubuntu machine, I'd like to get it installed under OS/2 -- but
> REGCFG.PM is Windows-only.

I'm afraid you're going to have to transfer your UserVar values to
XYWWWEB.REG manually -- unless you have access to a Windows machine
on which you can run REGCFG.PM. Even then, though, you'll probably
have to do some additional manual editing of REG. The good news is
that it's a one-time chore. Once you have a XYWWWEB.REG file, future
upgrades (including the forthcoming v120, which will be
significant), will be a simple matter of overwriting two files,
XYWWWEB.U2 and XYWWWEB.INF.

If you add custom code to U2, it's strongly recommended that you
segregate your code from ours. Gather all of your mods together and
situate them at the top of U2. Make sure that any new frames (yours)
have unique names that don't duplicate any of our framenames. (Issue
HLIST d:\path\XYWWWEB.U2 to view a list of all frames in
U2.) That way, when it's time to upgrade, you can simply delete our
old stuff and MErge the new XYWWWEB.U2 under your frames; your
custom code will be preserved intact.

If you've modified any of our frames, be sure to *rename* the
modified frame and put it in your custom code section at the top of
U2. Leave the original frame -- unchanged -- where it is; do not
delete it. Many of our frames call other frames as subroutines; if
you modify frames without renaming them, you may be unintentionally
"breaking" parts of U2 that you may later want to use.

I hope this helps.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx