R: error beep

Replay to Joe Solla
I'm running Xy3+ v. 3.54 under DOS session of Windows 95 (v. 3.55 does not
support the autoreplace feature, which I find very useful). From time to
time, changing computers and operating systems, I needed to change the
values for ck, eb and ec.
On the PC I now use at home (portable 486 class) the values in the
startup.int file are:
- default kc=2000,500
- default cb=400,60000
- default eb=300,60000
On the PC I use in the office (desktop pentium class) the values are:
- default kc=300,1000
- default cb=400,60000
- default eb=300,60000
I verified, for both the computers, that the value of the first parameter
is very critical and machine dependent: for example, changing it from 300
to 400 will change enormously the timbre and the audibility of the sound.
With the above values I obtained a very comfortable click sound (warm, low
frequency click) and two very "alerting" beeps, clearly different each
other.
May be the 256 increment you experimented via xpl is a too high increment
to find the correct value.
Hope this help
Ciao
Adriano Ortile