Re: Xy4 Instability

Okay, here are the bugs I notice:
   1) The constant, everytime (if there is a line of text or
even a hard carriage return below the line the cursor is on)
cursor jump after spell checking a word to the line below. It
seems like it did that with the thesaurus also, but doesn't now,
or not all the time.
   2) The intermitent keyboard freeze-up described here before
by myself and others. Sometimes as long as 10 or 15 seconds,
usually more like 3-5 seconds, then the keystrokes appear that
you typed before noticing that if had locked.
  3) The TSR problem that I continually have with Webster's
(Multilex) which goes away if I use xybkd.com (which also cures
the jumping cursor mentioned above) but TTG techs say I shouldn't
use xykbd.com, that they have
"fixed" that problem by making xykbd.com internal -- but it
doesn't work.
Anyway, I haven't been using lately, so it isn't the cause of the
other problems.
  4) The cursor and mouse not aligned -- the phantom cursor
that Carl just mentioned. That occurs over and over -- hitting
escape makes it go away.
  5) Occasional total lockups requiring closing down the window
and starting over.
  6) Intermitent not obeying keystrokes and giving a "no macro
assigned" message instead, and requiring you to go to the command
line to give the command. This isn't that often, and when it
starts happening, I usually have to close down and restart to get
rid of it.
  This last one is very annoying, however, and it caused me to
stop using the utilties like stack.pm, because it seemed to
happen more with those.

  I plan to do some experiments with the keyboard freeze --
taking autosave out, etc, -- but just haven't had time -- maybe
later this weekend.

  Anyway, I had very few problems with XY3 (v. 3.12). I recall
the "can't scroll" messages, but I think they quit after I got
more memory.
-- Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx
seaverh@xxxxxxxx harmon@xxxxxxxx

Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the
answer is NO.