Re: XyW Installation

   I'm sure, when I put XyWrite on my hard drive, that I did run an
installation program from the DOS prompt that came with it. I did this
straight off the floppy disks XyWrite came on. Amongst other things, I had to
choose whether I wanted an XyWrite 3 style interface or an XyWrite 4 style
interface (what Windows program offers you a choice like that?), and many other
things.
So I'm not quite sure what you mean, Harry, when you say XyWrite should not
be installed.
Two things: 1. Xy doesn't *need* to be "installed" (just copied and later
customized, if you wish) and 2. more importantly: Xy shouldn't be installed
via running under Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs"--I don't know if
doing that would cause problems, but it's just silly.
The setup questions to which you refer pertain to trivial customizations
that you will get used to doing by hand in settings.dfl and your .kbd file.
   Yes, I did have to install it; but it was definitely not a Windows
installation routine, and I can't even see how once could use that to install
XyWrite, since it's not a Windows program (well my version isn't anyway).
Right. The setup you went through has this analogy: you rent a car from
Hertz. They not only give you the keys, they ask you questions like: "would
you like the driver's seat back, middle, or forward?" then they set it for
that, per your request. But the car is drivable either way, and you soon
will be adjusting the seat position yourself anyway.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx