Re: Features Removed in Windows Vista

Brian Henderson wrote:

The Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) does not support all DOS video modes
and therefore DOS-based and Win32 console programs cannot run in full screen mode.
Mostly, yes, but as Robert pointed out a few weeks ago, some
Vista VGA drivers do support full-screen. (Not, I gather, many)

In previous versions of Windows, it was possible to save different settings for each console window.
Windows would ask the user whether to apply settings for the current window or the shortcut that
started
the window. Windows Vista however saves settings for all console windows
Actually, that seems to me to be a change for the better. Having
to remember to click that box when you were changing a whole lot
of things got to be a real nuisance. Of course, that assumes you
have separate shortcuts for any DOS app you're running--but one
should, after all.
Dragging and dropping a folder or file into a Win32 console window no longer pastes the path of the
folder or file. The functionality has been disabled due to privilege escalation concerns.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here, but Vista in general
assumes its users are clueless dweebs who don't know where on
their hard drives anything is. Trying to limit a search to a
specific drive or folder, much less a filespec, is like pulling
teeth.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx