From: XYWRITE: Xywrite Word Processor for Dos & Windows
To: XYWRITE: Xywrite Word Processor for Dos & Windows
Sent: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:01 am
Subject: XYWRITE digest 3022

XYWRITE Digest 3022

Topics covered in this issue include:

1) Re: Re Xy on VISTA--sleep mode
by "Patricia M. Godfrey" mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxx
2) Re: XYCONS in PNG format
by "Patricia M. Godfrey" mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:15:12 -0500
From: "Patricia M. Godfrey" mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxx
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re Xy on VISTA--sleep mode

Harry Binswanger wrote:

>> Has anyone with these keyboard problems on laptops tried using an
>> external keyboard? What happened?
>
> I don't understand how one could have problems, given that real DOS is
> used in Win98. If DOS is DOS, and Xy is Xy, how could the hardware
> make a difference? Or was there a difference with DOS programs other
> than Xy, too?
No, Harry. this is not Win98, and ergo not DOS. These are people running
XP (I think I'm the only one still using 98, and I'm not right now). And
XP does not have real DOS underlyng it, only a VDM,

Patricia M. Godfrey
mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:47:12 -0500
From: "Patricia M. Godfrey" mailto:priscamg@xxxxxxxx
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: XYCONS in PNG format

Robert Holmgren wrote:
>> Anyone recognize it? It's the one with a large X
>> and a small y on a green background.
>
> Yeah! I made that one. It's a 40x40 bitmap, IIRC.
>
> Anybody know of a *free* icon editor that can create a
> compressed PNG with all four formats (256/48/32/16)?

Ah, I rather thought so.

I did manage to check, and none of the nice icons so far created
here work in Vista. They show up on the Change Icon screen, but
Apply is grayed out and I'm left with the plain piece of paper icon.

What I have discovered (haven't had a chance to check those sites
yet) is that Vista does expect a file either with an .ico
extension or one embedded in a .dll. The standard ones that come
with Vista, and to which it directs you when you first choose
Change Icon, are found in a file
c:\windows\system32\imageres.dll
There is also a file called
Icon Code Services.dll
in that directory.

PS REally maddening "feature" of Vista: I cannot get Folder
Options-View->Details to stick. Every time I reboot, it gives me
thumbnails or some other silly eye-candy view, and I have to tell
it again, View, Details, Blast it.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
mailto:priscameg@xxxxxxxx