Re: XYCONS in PNG format

Robert Holmgren wrote:
Anyone recognize it? It's the one with a large X and a small y on a green background.

Yeah! I made that one. It's a 40x40 bitmap, IIRC.

Anybody know of a *free* icon editor that can create a
compressed PNG with all four formats (256/48/32/16)?

Ah, I rather thought so.
I did manage to check, and none of the nice icons so far created here work in Vista. They show up on the Change Icon screen, but Apply is grayed out and I'm left with the plain piece of paper icon.
What I have discovered (haven't had a chance to check those sites
yet) is that Vista does expect a file either with an .ico
extension or one embedded in a .dll. The standard ones that come
with Vista, and to which it directs you when you first choose
Change Icon, are found in a file
c:\windows\system32\imageres.dll
There is also a file called
Icon Code Services.dll
in that directory.
PS REally maddening "feature" of Vista: I cannot get Folder Options-View->Details to stick. Every time I reboot, it gives me thumbnails or some other silly eye-candy view, and I have to tell it again, View, Details, Blast it.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscameg@xxxxxxxx