Re: "Cant run command"

Rene:

Your path statement, for some reason, may have grown too long. If so,
moving the "c:dos" to the beginning may solve the one problem but perhaps
invalidate a later part of the line. Don't put into the path statement
directories you go to infrequently. Also, moving the path statement to
close to end of the autoexec.bat often makes life easier for reasons I
won't go into. You might find "dpath=" (for data files) useful, but
you have to have "dpath.com" in the autoexec.bat.

Finally, why don't you switch to Xy4, which has much better memory
management. Keep Xy3 on board, as I did, at least until you no longer want
to go back to it for printing or whatnot. Put Xy3 and Xy4 in separate
directories, along with their accompanying files even though there may
seem to be duplication. You can have both in the path statement, if you
like, but you may like to have a batch file something like
"c:\xy4\xy4.exe". And, of course, you will have set "startup.int" (wisely
renamed to "start4.int") to the proper directory. A good batch command is
"xy4\xy4 %1,c:\xy4\start4.int/e4000". The "%1" lets you optionally include
a data file in your invocation ("xy4 c:\texts\myfile.txt"). The "/e4000"
tells Xy4 to use 4k of extended memory (assuming you have that); I believe
this is the maximum XyW allows. I have forgotten how much of all this
applies also to Xy3, but except for the names I think it is mostly valid.

I have found it rewarding to set the Automatic Save function to *very*
frequent intervals. (In fact, I have it at 2 minutes right now.) XyW is
not crash-prone, but neither is it crash-proof, especially when multiple
long files are loaded for easy access in the 9 windows. The easiest place
to assign the "autosav#.tmp" files [the assignment is done in the
settings.dfl file] is to c:\xy4, or to c:\xy3 if you use that. In any
event, *not* to a RAM drive, for that will be erased in the event of a
hardware or DOS crash.