Re: Ansified XyWrite (Att. R. Holmgren)

** Reply to message from --  on Tue, 24 Dec 2002 20:46:40 +0100

Manuel:

> The problem appears when I attempt to write stressed characters
> (using S1, etc.): they appear wrong in my screen or don't appear at all.
> BUT, if I call the keyboard file to screen and load it again, I can
> write stressed characters without any problem. Why?

Aren't you answering your own question? Solving your own problem? Because KBD
wasn't loaded -- and now it is -- right? Did you look to see which KBD file
was loaded before and after, using VA/NV $KB? Come on, Manuel, you're
there, and I'm here. Debug it! You make your "problem" (which I don't think
even exists) sound so difficult! When you say

 > If... I open your test file, ansi characters
 > are OK.

well then, we KNOW that the font is fine, so put that aside -- forget the font
-- don't tell me that stressed characters "appear wrong in my screen" -- tell
me EXACTLY WHAT CHAR IS APPEARING when you put exactly which KBD file code! Do
some tests. Give me some information! Display the same test file at the DOS
level to make sure the font hasn't changed. Debug the whole setup! How can I
help you otherwise? I get irritated because YOU, of all people, know better.

Why command "VGA FONT CP1252.FNT"? You should reread what I said about W98 vs
WNT. A lot of the font stuff we did was special for W9x, because 9x font
handling is so atrocious. WNT is a different story -- why do you need that
fontfile? -- just change the codepage (CHCP 1252 command) -- remember? Read
the XyWWWeb v114 help frame for ANSI (HELP ANSI), I probably
summarized all this...

If I recall, you don't use func S1, you use instead the substitute frame I
wrote for you, which does an Ansified S1-S7. Just look at the old messages, we
discussed everything, I tested thoroughly, it was a 100% Ansi implementation of
XyWrite, with special attention to accented characters, 0% problems (on my
machine anyway). Some of those messages (most?) may have been private... My
recollection is that this worked fine when we put it behind us -- was it last
September? It's been a long time... and it's a dull thing to revisit or
reinvent old solutions on Christmas, or any other day.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx