Re: available memory

Here's a blast from the past, but I found it so interesting after these
many years... I've attached a PDF scan from the XYIII+ manual, appendix B
(done as economically as possible to save bandwidth).
When we were talking about thresholds for "overflow" on XY3 vs XY4,
someone mentioned opening files in 9 or 10 windows. In XY3, at least,
that exercise turns out to be beside the point. If you look at the
section on p. B-4 on primary file buffers, it states that "each file you
open has its own buffer"; that is, each file you open in XY3 has its own
buffer, and each acquires its own overflow file when it grows not only
beyond 64K but actually to the limit of available memory. Does XY4 work
that way, too? Maybe someone will be curious enough to look before I do.
If XY4 is different, that would explain why you could have nine decent
sized files open in XY3 and not see the overflow "X."
On the next page (B-5), you might see a faint exclamation mark (probably I
made it around 1991) next to where XyQuest boldly wrote, "The absolute
limit to the size of a file, if you include overflow files, is determined
by the amount of storage on your disk. We have known applications with
single files as large as 10 megabytes."
10MB was a scarcely believable size in those days. Looking at that last
night, I felt like taking my hat off to XyQuest (had I been wearing one).
And I thought a lot of you would get a kick out of seeing it in the
original--thus the PDF--lest you think I was fibbing.

Cheers,
Carlo

Carlo Caballero
thyrsus@xxxxxxxx