Re: available memory

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Paul Lagasse wrote:
Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
I found a boot floppy from the days of NovelL DOS (and that, recall, was
what TTG ran Xy on--not Microsludge or even IBM, but Novell; it's still
around, but I cannot think under what name). Files was 255, buffers 20, and
DOS was loaded high and UMB. FWIW.
Thanks for the info. 255 seems high, unless you had special needs, since that was the max, I think. Your boot floppy find got me to look again for mine, but it's still not there -- however, I did look in the Xy install disks this time (several 4.x versions) and XYWRITE.INF checks to see that Files is set to at least 28; nothing about buffers. (8 was the MSDOS minimum. 30 is the standard Dosemu Files setting, and my old Win98 book says 30 too.)
Extremely high--Paul is right, 255 is the maximum. I looked at my
CONFIG.SYS on DOS 6.1, and it has files=60 and buffers=20. Those were
settings inherited with the machine and may have no particular virtue.
(I looked for an older set-up saved on floppy but didn't find it. I seem
to recall both files and buffers being in the 20s on my first PC, circa
1990). Like Patricia, I have DOS=HIGH,UMB.
In my set up in VPC 6.0 on the Mac, which came with PC DOS 7.0, revision
1, the factory (Connectix) CONFIG.SYS, which I've never changed, has
FILES=30, BUFFERS=10.
Patricia, do you think you had files at 255 for a special reason? Under
DOS, such a high setting would have bought simultaneous files open at the
expense of less space for programs and data.
While looking in the XY3 manual (remember that annoying three-ring
binding, anyone?), I found something interesting and think I'll scan it
for a forthcoming message. It's not a setting for buffers, but closely
related to the current discussions.

Carlo Caballero
thyrsus@xxxxxxxx