RE Stack question

Carl wrote: ≪ the stupid convention that insists on putting commas and
full stops inside of quotation marks...it has no place in correspondence
about the intricacies of a computer program, especially one, like Stack,
that's all about the precise handling of strings.≫

A point well taken. As a copy editor working in the US of A, I have
always put commas and periods inside quotes, colons and semicolons
outside, and exclamation marks (aka "screamers") and question marks
wherever they belong by sense. It's virtually universal publishing
practice. BUT there's always been an exception made for textual
criticism, and one should also be made for programming. I will amend my
work in progress (Grammar for Editors and Writers) to reflect that.
Patricia