Re: Printing XyWrite

** Reply to message from "Brian Henderson"  on Sun, 24
Sep 2006 20:43:02 -0700

> I should tell you too that I only buy "disposable" printers...
> really cheap ones that I get rid of as soon as they become
> undependable.

That's like buying disposable cameras: you get really lousy
pictures for a very short while -- and you can count on it.
Penny wise?

My mid-range H-P printers have always delivered at least ten years
of reliable service. If you have a LAN, the logical choice is
a network printer that connects via Ethernet, or a printer
server. In any case, it pays to do a little research. I never
cease to wonder at the XyWriters who end up with these (superficially,
at least) "incompatible" printers, and then are surprised and perplexed.

Over the years, U2 has cumulatively added several ways of overcoming printer
incompatibility, at least one of which is near-certain to work:

-- command TY (serial [COM] and parallel [LPT] connections, supported natively
by XyWrite)
-- frame POSTGHOST (Postscript printing to *any* printer via GSView+Ghostscript)
-- frame TYP (Postscript printing to *any* printer via Ghostscript)
-- frame TYWIN (print to Windows printer driver using RawPrint.exe)
-- frame TYN (print to networked printer using LPR.exe)

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx