XyShell issue

Dear Friends in XyWrite,

Allow me to list some related problems I'm having using XyShell.

First, and simplest to report, issuing sw * on the command
line results in a blink of the screen and nothing else. I am in a W98
full window XY4 session with other processes running.

Second, and I think related, having dedicated F11 in my KBD file thus,
87=NOJM2,.,g,o,2,Q2, which is the shell to fresh DOS assignment
recommended by Mr. Holmgren in README.WIN, I get the following error
message: (no quotes) "Writing to C:\4DOS602\GO1.DAT: Timeout in 30
seconds", followed after the timeout by, "C:\4DOS602\GO.DAT Does not
exist".

As some of you know, 4DOS.COM, which is my %COMSPEC%, is a wonderful,
entirely reliable COMMAND.COM replacement written by Rexx Conn of
JPSOFT; I've been using it for years.

As a next step tracking this down, since the error seemed to indicate
a file missing that is needed, I created GO.DAT in that directory and
tried again; this time the error message remains, and I cannot find
GO.DAT when I look for it (dir c:\4dos602\go.dat yields "file not
found").

Third, w2 commands, such as w2 expl . . . etc, work well enough (bumpy
and slow, nobody's fault but M$ I'm sure) but at termination remain on
the desktop of W98 rather than returning me to XY4. I have set S/G
669=XYWRITE 4.018 in both SETTINGS.DFL and in XYWWWEB.REG in the
appropriate place for Exit_Process, and even have issued the w2
command with the /P:"xywr" switch; and this happens in whatever way I
use w2.

Okay, so feeling pretty clever, a query va/nv @669, and get a blank!
Not loaded! (I'm wondering if "not loaded' carries metaphysical
significance for me, Robert). Check SETTINGS.DFL, XYWWWEB.REG, all
just as they should be. Okay, lets reload SETTINGS.DFL; the result of
the va/nv @669 is now (no quotes) "XYWRITE 4.018" as it should be. Re
issue the w2 command, the whole thing repeats as before: process does
not exit to XY4, va/nv @669 empty again.

I've reached the (admittedly low) ceiling of my cleverness. Any of you
out there have suggestions?

Thanks all,

Fred Weiner

PS. Pardon the blank post: spasm of hand results in .