Re: Xy 3.55

James Besser writes: "I've regressed totally, and am now using Xy
3.55 for day-to-day word crunching."

Those of us who never stopped using xyWrite 3 would consider that
less a regression than a belated recognition of consummate
technology. We shall not see its like again, etc. Many things you
like about xyDos 4 can be done with xpl routines in v3. And as I
responded the first time you inquired about
Windows word processing, you can taskswitch v3 as a DOS app under
Windows without grief. How do you receive faxes? Do you use the
winFax tsr?

I do have a kvetch about the xyWrite 3.57 I'm using, a bug that
many may recall: It not only won't recognize subdirectories that
have names with extensions, it won't even list the extensions in
dir listings. I must shell out to the DOS prompt to cd to one of
these dirs (it then treats files therein normally). And I do
notice something Carl Distefano mentioned, occasional
inexplicable crashes, which I never ever experienced with v3.52.
Like the imperfections added deliberately to Japanese art? Not having v3.55,
I'll stick with 3.57--as close to perfect software as I ever
expect to see.
   --annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc