Re: new computer XY-DOS

> In talking to Dell Pro Support, and not their sales department, I think my
> best option is to get an Inspiron Pc (the bottom of Dell Desktop offerings
> with a 3 gigahrz processor, 16 gigs of ram in 4 sticks and two physical hard
> drives and a parallel port card. One hard drive would have Windows XP
> installed on it so that I can continue to run Xywrite and WP 5.1 and one
> with Windows 8 or 10 so that I can surf the internet effectively.

This sounds like a fine system, but it has way more speed and memory than you probably need. For a
desktop, though, these things dont hurt.

Having a dual boot system for DOS word processing and Windows web surfing really does seem excessive
and downright inconvenient.

> I have tried to follow the discussions about tweaking later versions of
> windows with tamedos vmware etc. and other programs and these are way over
> my head.

You have to remember that many of us just like tinkering around with things. :-)

In fact this is something our group should commit to creating: a no-nonsense Win8-Xy4 setup that
can be downloaded and installed on a Win8 system without undue stress by people who just want to use
XyWrite on a current computer.

I would suggest that we try to achieve the following objectives:

* enable easy DOS-prompt access to XyWrite and other DOS programs (such as WordPerfect)
* provide reasonable screen and font sizes for Xy
* allow XyWrite keyboard settings and key combinations to work as expected
* enable the use of W4W filters
* give read/write access to at least one directory available to Windows
* provide a convenient way of dealing with long filenames
* enable printing using Xy

ANYTHING ELSE???

Myron