Re: XYWRITE digest 2821

William E. Shawcross wrote:
I don't think RAM has anything to do with it (my computer has 1.2 GB of the stuff), but the following discussion deals with the problem that produces the "insuffient memory" message: http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.application.errors/browse_thread/thread/89e2a56d833f3cbe/a1cdb381efeadf8d%23a1cdb381efeadf8d In looking back in my registry, I see my friend set IRPStackSize to 25 (decimal); it was 11 before the change. In case the URL above doesn't work for you, here is the relevant part of the message:
1. Start the registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe). 2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services \lanmanserver\parameters. 3. Double-click IRPStackSize (or if this registry setting doesn't exist, create it of type DWORD and ensure the case is correct). 4. Change the base to decimal, set the value to 11 for Win2K or NT or 15 for XP, and click OK. 5. Reboot the computer." Also from MS: "In Windows 2000, the default value of IRPStackSize is 15, and the range is from 11 to 50. In Windows XP, the default value for IRPStackSize is 15, and the range is from 11 to 50. In the Value Data box, type a value that is larger than the value that is listed. If you created the IRPStackSize value using the procedure described in step 4, the default value is 15. It is recommended that you incrase the value by 3. Therefore, if the previous value was 11, type 14 , and then click OK."
Thanks. Everybody, save that post so we don't have to go round this mulberry bush again. I'm guessing that perhaps when the system was set up the one doing so answered "by itself" when the install routine asked (as I THINK I recall it does): Is this computer being used on a network or by itself (or words to that effect). -- Patricia M. Godfrey PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx