functions still present, but disabled (DR)

Putting Xy-3 back on my hard drive to trouble-shoot a few issues
reminded
me of something. Xy-3 had an interactive Margin & Tab Ruler,
summoned
by Func DR, which was natively mapped to ALT-TAB. I recall
liking this,
and did use it sometimes. My first thought on revisiting this
was that it must
have been implemented from the HELP system, but it turns out that
it was
hard-coded into EDITOR.EXE. The curious thing is that it
continued to be
present in the 4x (DOS) Editors . . . though I don't know about
XyWin.
However, by the time of 4x, this function had been disabled. I'm
guessing
this may have had something to do with Windows co-opting the
ALT-TAB
assignment ? (As does OS/2.) Tim would probably know about
this.

Anyway, Func DR apparently can't be triggered any other way in
4x. Or
can it ? Maybe it was too much trouble to actually remove that
section of
code ? This left me wondering what else may have been left in
the code in a
non-functional state ? The only other example I can think of was
the short-
hand expansion feature (Func AR) that got disabled after v. 3.55,
due to the
PRD+ suit, but which got reinstated in 4.x, or possibly during
the short run
of Signature.

For anyone who has no idea what I'm talking about in regard to
Func DR,
and may be curious, I will attach a 134K screenshot of the 3.5x
Tab / Margin
"cheat sheet" menu to this message.

Jordan

JPEG image