Re: Function keys and Windows 95

Greg Reeves wrote:

 At work, Windows95 "intercepts" F1-F10 until the next keystroke.
That is, hitting Alt-F5 does nothing until the next key is hit, at which point it
deletes a line. It's the same story programming XPL with Scroll Lock on.
F5 doesn't produce the "BC" character until the next key is hit.
Mysteriously, F1-F10 function normally under Xywrite/Windows95 on my
home PC. I've compared dozens of Windows95 settings on the two
machinesand haven't found a relevant difference. Can anyone enlighten
me as to what might be going on?

I wrote a similar query to the list, probably about a year ago, regarding the
same problem in XY III+. A few fixes were suggested, but none of them
worked. Since XyWrite isn't my primary wordprocessor, I didn't pursue it.
 However, today I experimented a bit because some XyWriters in my
department are being "upgraded" to Win95, and I stumbled on something
that *seems to* fix the problem. If, for example, I edit my keyboard file to
delete the "Q1," "Q2," etc. speller function calls that occur first on some
function keys, the "keystroke trapping" that affects (most of) those keys,
requiring a key to be hit twice, goes away.

I have no idea why this works, why the problem happened in the first
place, and whether in fact it is a good idea to apply this "fix". Perhaps,
with this clue, some XyWrite gurus can offer an opinion?

Sincerely,

Miriam Kleiger