Re: Printing graphics characters with XY

Carl Distefano wrote:

> > Today, I needed to send a fax cover page to someone, ... with
> > Xy4DOS): the heavy fill-in boxes, single lines, and double line
> > borders all print out as some foreign "a" character, with
> > circumflex, grave, or whatever that darn thing is called.
>
> What's your default codepage in Xy4 and XyWin? Probably 850.
> (Command VA/NV LA to find out.)

I'd have to double-check on XyWin, as it's not installed in the main
OS/2 partition, but for Xy4DOS, the default shows up as 437.

> If it's 850, embed an  at the top of your document (or in any
> case ahead of any graphics), and your graphical chars should print
> out OK, assuming that the selected typeface supports them.

Would that make any difference, if the default is already 437 ?

There was something else I wanted to mention about the PostScript
option not working, but it eludes me now. One font that does seem to
work for printing most graphics characters -- in most versions of Xy --
is LinePrinter. (I seem to recall that it could also print out XPL and
even printer command strings, without need for any user adjustments.)
But LinePrinter is very tiny, so its usefulness is limited.

Jordan