Re: Linux

Emery,
Linux first impressions are shocking for every one. But, once you manage the mounting process, things start to go smoother and smoother. In the past (in a less busy period) I spent a fair amount of time studying Linux and I have currently two distros installed in different machines: Mandrake and Debian. My main problem with Linux is the lack of a powerful desktop publishing program. Obviously, there is Tetex (and the whole TEX system) but it's very oriented towards academic publishing. I am used to my XyWrite-Ventura combination and the equivalent Emacs-TeTEX is not tempting. Regarding DOSEMU: I was unable to setup DOSEMU properly because the documentation is very sparse and not user-friendly at all. The main problem is with HD-Image. I couldn't manage it. I got to run XyWrite III (more or less) but I couldn't run XyWrite 4 at all. I have the impression that nobody on our list has enough experience in that area. But don't misunderstand me: I think it is worth glancing at Linux. It's continuously being improved. Mandrake, for example, is a very friendly distro and there are applications that cover the basic usage for every user (not to mention a never ending list of utilities). But I suppose you are as busy as me and probably you don't have a lot of opportunities to continue your testing.
Manuel Castelao