Re: TAME [was: Hardware ID (was Completely Off-Topic)

At 03:16 AM 10/6/2006, Si Wright wrote:
My Tame testing had an unfortunate side effect.
Now, when I have Xy4 open (with Tame 4.5e), nothing else will load. That is, if I have Xy4 running and try to open Firefox or Eudora--or even Properties on the Xy4 shortcut--nothing loads until I quit Xy4.
Baring better advice here (and I hope the cognoscenti will weigh in),
I'd scrub the program from the drive and start over with 4.5e. I do
this with every iteration and it takes about five minutes. I'm going
to assume you have the original 4.5e installation .exe.
First (You've likely done some of this) uninstall Pre8 using either
the supplied uninstall or XP's uninstall applet in the control panel.

Then hand delete what's left of \TAME 5.1. and \My Documents\TAME 5.1.

Do a search of the HD for any *TAME*.*, TAME*.*, *.tam. files and delete them.

Double check Autoexec.nt to make sure the TAME startup line is deleted.
D. Thomas insists the next step is not necessary, but I do it to make sure: first, make a backup of the registry with ERUNT, then using Regedit or another registry search tool search the registry for entries with:

Tame 5.1
Tame 5.1pre [This to insure there aren't entries from a previous interation]
Tame 5.1pre8
TameDos

Delete them.
That should scrub not only Pre8 from your machine, but all traces of the program period and allow you to reinstall 4.5e.
I'm sorry you had a hard time, Jon. I too have been wary to mess with
a functioning system, particularly when you depend on it to meet
daily deadlines.
If you can wait half a day to let others weigh in, someone may have a
more direct solution. Did you use Harry's method to test Pre8: simply
left your 4.5 folder as is then installed 5.1? In other words, is
Pre8 still on your system or have you in fact uninstalled it and it
left problems behind?
Michael Norman