Re: Be not the last to set the old aside

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Leslie Bialler wrote:

> A poster to the list confesses:
>
> > Me, I perversely persist in using GOfer.
>
> (geez: would _you_ upgrade a product for people who
> prefer GOfer to Netscape?).

Wrong rodent. The Gopher you're thinking of was the text-based menuing
interface for internet access to files and Gopher sites that was
(briefly) such a Minnesota-spawned boon before the Mosaic GUI arrived
bringing the world wide (graphical) wait in 1993.

The GOfer crankily retained by the earlier poster is an indexing and
retrieval program for the contents of your entire hard drive, quite
cheap and effective. (Magellan does something similar if you let it, and
Orbis can be used that way, but usually is applied to a more focused set
of files.) He has as much reason to keep it around as Xy users to keep
that alleged antique. Lots of closet GOfer owners out there, I'll bet.

	Dorothy

***** Dorothy Day School of Library and Information Science Indiana University day@xxxxxxxx ***** "He also surfs who only sits and waits."