Re: A couple of issues

≪If anyone wants to discuss this general issue further it might be
better to do so privately or on a newsgroup rather than on this list--it
would rapidly get off-topic I suspect.≫ --James Eibisch
http://www.i-way.co.uk/~jeibisch/

James: Continuing discussion in a newsgroup sounds to me like a great
idea--not for lack of interest or just because a comp.infosystems.www.*
newsgroup *would* be appropriate. Disinterested discussion of Notes vs
intranet etc. systems, e.g., would be impossible here, where zeal is
relentless on behalf of The Megacorp That Made XyWrite and Microsoft What
They Are Today. As I read it, the jury still is out on Java and I doubt
many subscribers are fully conversant with the issues (I'm tacking on one
msg I just collected at random). Java programmers are buying ever more
powerful machines to get acceptable performance from trivial applets
at the same time users are saying, "Hey, guys! Where is this power trip
going?" and leaving warehouses stuffed. ... Imo, opening the discussion
to fresh viewpoints would be useful *and* would possibly give xyW some
much-needed exposure outside this hermetic venue. ... Ciao. 	--a

============================= adpFisher  nyc

	Re: When can we pronounce CGI Dead?
	Fri, 12 Apr 1996 21:28 GMT
	iend@xxxxxxxx (Imagination's End) / The End Productions

	comp.lang.java,comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi,
	comp.infosystems.www.advocacy

:	i just can't seem to justify a client based on CGI
:	rather than java, unless the download time problem
:	is really a killer for commercial level applications.
:	And it could be. Having both CGI and java entry points
:	seems a waste of time.

Todd Hoff : It still remains that Java is extremely
slow for what it does. It should be limited to where realtime
interactivity is required. The language itself now, and it's packages,
are too limited to provide a really nice interface. The graphics system
does need a lot of work.

There are also other things that server the same purpose as Java, there
are several scripting things now, shockwave, and the entire set of
ActiveX technologies. Some are better suited for different areas than Java.

CGI will still win for Database stuff because Java doesn't meet
performance requirements. Also CGI runs a lot faster. --iend@xxxxxxxx
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~nestlaur/ Tracks Of Creation
http://www.ratw.com/creation/