Re: Finding W2K was Re: La Machine Est Morte, Vive La Machine!

I am just a long-term hobbyist in computers, and reluctantly a lower-level support person by default or accident.  However, I am very well acquainted with the complete loss of internet problem, which is generally cured by turning off all devices in the chain for a couple minutes, then in turn powering up the cable modem, router, then computer again (in that order, allowing some time for each device to come online).  These are usually desktop systems, with no suspend involved.  I was never quite sure what the cause of the malady was: it is intermittent, but I can count on it to happen at least once a month at some locations, though fortunately less often at my own.  Reflexively, I tend to blame MS, though I suppose it could be Time Warner Cable or the power company.  (Everyone I know has been using a good UPS for years, though.)  If it is a Windows thing, adding in Suspend | Resume probably just increases the glitch factor.

    Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:59 AM
Subject: Re: Finding W2K was Re: La Machine Est Morte, Vive La Machine!

Bill,

I think you should simply cancel the suspend feature. On the other hand,
suspending or saving the machine state of a VBox W2K VM is what I do
regularly without any problems. But suspending or waking up a real
Windows 7 machine can cause serious problems, as I recently discovered
when one of my Win 7 machines on my home network lost its IP address. I
first thought the network card had died, when Windows was unable to
restore the IP address. The situation was finally solved by powering off
all routers and connecting devices. Apparently the Windows machine had
caused an electrical malfunction in the router.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx