Re: Sig+ xpl

Reply to note from  Sat, 1 Sep 2001 15:21:36 -0400
(EDT)

> I will point out that I didn't initiate this thread. I'm not
> sure what's left for you to bash after dumping on the Windows
> releases, xyWrite 3 xpl, and my programming skills, but if you
> wish to extend the dialogue, I cede you the last word.

Thanks, Annie. I'll take the opportunity to summarize the substance
of our "dialogue".

1) You asserted that BX...Q2 has "temperamental proclivities".

2) I asked for examples. You replied, "Huh? Weren't we just
discussing that AS BX ed Q2 fails?" I pointed out that this is one
of several differences (along with many similarities) between BX and
BC, and that the differences do not implicate the reliability of BX.

3) You went on to cite your U2 frame {{5,bta4}} which, you said,
contains "[s]everal lines ... designed to indulge Sig+ xpl refusal
to comply at that point with a simple BX search command." In the
process, you ask a question ("how to effect a xyWin newline-to-
linefeed global change?") which indicates that you don't understand
how BX works. You never tell us what your failed BX search command
was.

4) I replied that the coding travails evident in your frame stem
from the for-Windows environment, not BX per se. (This isn't XyWin-
or NBWin-bashing, it's a fact borne out by long experience. I've
written more than one better-than-average XPL routine for these
environments. Absurdities like double GL statements shouldn't be
necessary but, unfortunately, sometimes are.) I called for
"specific BX statements that you believe fail because of BX's
inherent unreliability".

5) You refuse to disclose what the failed BX command was. True to
form, you berate me for failing to discern the "obvious" BX search
statement that's *absent* from your frame. Finally, today, you
concede what's been obvious all along: your lack of "any claim to BX
expertise".

In sum, your original, gratuitous assertion about BX's
"temperamental proclivities" remains unsubstantiated. Your complete
lack of credibility on such matters, however, is now plain for all
to see.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx