Re: Re[2]: A Win95 question

** Reply to note from Jane Stein  Sat, 03 May 1997 08:55:06 -0400

> TBaehr@xxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > Jane Stein: If you have Xy4, you have the Microlytics speller (or at least
> > it's on your installation disks if it never made it to your hard drive
>
> Okay. I'm sorry to belabor this, but in your previous messages on the
> subject, you said "most" people, you "suspect" have the Microlytics, but
> that the IBM version went out with some early versions of Xy4. Since I
> pounced on Xy4 pretty early, and since the speller that came with my Xy4
> is a pain in the butt and distinctly different from the one that I was
> using in Xy3+, I naturally wondered whether I might have been one of the
> lucky few who got blessed by the IBM product. I still don't understand
> how to tell whether I do or don't and I'm puzzled why you keep telling
> me now that I do, when your earlier posts had said only that you
> "suspect" "most people" have the Microlytics.

First of all, look on your disk. Do you have files called DICT.SPL or WFBG.SYN?
Those are the Microlytics speller/thesaurus files, respectively. If you have a
file called *.DIC, e.g. US.DIC, that's the IBM speller/thesaurus. You could
rename them temporarily, to see whether the dictionary facility still works --
that would nail down which one you have. You can check the value of VAriable OM
OldMasticon: command "VA/NV $OM". If OM=31, it's Microlytics; if OM=0, it's
IBM. Or you can check VAriable LX LeXicon; it won't load unless it finds an IBM
dictionary on the disk.

I disagree with your evaluation of the IBM spellers. The German one is
interesting, and very large. The AmerEnglish speller sometimes offers quite
different, and unexpected, synonyms.

The format of the presentation leaves a lot to be desired, though. I developed
some alternative frames for use with the IBM spellers, which you might test
drive. They're in the "External Helpters and XyWrite Access Engines" section at
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx