Re: Unix and XyWrite and whatnot

RH asks:

> How much does one of
> these boxes cost -- loaded?

    Well, depends upon what you want, eh? The IMacs are only
$1200-1300 bucks, less with an edu discount. But full out PowerMacs
aren't cheap. What I got is one of the better clones - a UMAX SuperMac
S900L. They're discontinued, but at http://www.smalldog.com you'll find
factory refurbs of both Umax clones and Apple PowerMacs. I see a Umax
w/275mhz G3, and 32meg RAM, 2 gig SCSI drive, etc. for $1700, and a
266G3 PowerMac for $2600 refurb. I liked the Umax because it's got 6 PCI
slots and 8 DIMM memory slots -- much more expandable than the
PowerMacs. The IMacs are pretty cool looking, but they only have IDE,
not SCSI, which most other Macs have, and just aren't very expandable.
    But a really loaded 400mhzG3 PowerMac --- whew! I wish.

--
Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx
http://harmon.bml.usouthal.edu