Re: Unix and XyWrite and whatnot

Stephen says:

> Oh, okay. All I could find was "[Q:] Does the BeOS run on
> Apple's new 'G3' Power Macs, which use the PowerPC 750 (or 'G3')
> processor? [A:] No the BeOS is not compatible with Apple's 'G3'
> systems." I guess the strong hints there are just too subtle for the
> likes of me.

   Try this URL -- they don't even hint here, just flat out say it.

http://www.be.com/support/guides/beosreadylist_ppc.html

>            PowerPC 750 Support
>
>                The BeOS Release 4 (and BeOS Release 3) should run on otherwise
>                BeOS Ready Systems which have been upgraded with a PowerPC 750
>                processor card -- this configuration works for many customers -- but this
>                configuration is unsupported by Be. See the BeOS FAQs for details.
>
>                The BeOS Preview Release (1 or 2) will not run on systems with a
>                PowerPC 750 processor, whether this processor is built-in or added on a
>                processor card to an otherwise BeOS Ready System.

  Thanx for the info about SheepShaver, I'll have to try it. Bochs I
guess I knew about, but it was a hassle to get going under linux, and
didn't seem all that far along, maybe a bit above Wine or Dosemu, and
I'm pretty spoiled by Virtual PC at this point. 8-)

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx
http://harmon.bml.usouthal.edu
All is impermanent, but this too shall pass away, and the way of the
Samurai is death -- so speak your mind now, or forever hold your peace.
Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1998. License to distribute this post is
available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent.