XyWrite For OS/2

Here's a follow-up to my message #9434 about "XyWrite for OS/2". I had assumed
that Xy-OS/2 (if it truly existed) must be a perfunctory port of Xy-Win. But I
asked Herb Tyson for further information, and he responded thusly (I just saw
his reply, more than a month after the fact). Fascinating! Plus, his msg
affords a clearer sense of how forthcoming and cards-on-the-table XyQuest
really is about the issues we discuss here!

 ============================
 Beginning of Herb Tyson
 ============================
 RelayNet #1112  01-26-94  22:47
 To: ROBERT HOLMGREN  From: HERB TYSON   Re:XyWrite FOR OS/2
 RH> HT>They already have an OEM version of XyWrite for OS/2.
 RH>
 RH> Herb: What sort of "version" is this?
 RH> A what-the-hey Saturday-afternoon...

 My understanding is that it's a 16-bit, from the ground up (not
 a port!) PM application that was built even before the Windows
 version was under way. I've known about it for several years,
 but haven't been able to get my hot little hands on it. Here's
 an excerpt from the OEM guy himself:

 ============================
 Beginning of Excerpt
 ============================
 #: 181912 S9/TEAM OS/2
   21-Jan-94 10:07:39
 Sb: #181496-#Want XyWrite for OS/2?
 Fm: Jeff Litvak 72426,727
 To: Esther Schindler[EXEC] 72241,1417 (X)

 Greetings from Michigan:

 I'm the product manager for the newspaper editorial system that
 uses the PM version of XyWrite Kenny mentioned in his message
 (my company is called CText, we've been around for about 10
 years and have utilized XyWrite since the very beginning).

 We're quite pleased with the OS/2 version of the editor (as are
 our customers) and look forward to selling many more systems
 with the software (the Chicago Tribune is by no means our only
 customer using the OS/2 version). We've found The Technology
 Group to be good folks to work with and are impressed with what
 we've seen of XyWrite for Windows.

 The OS/2 Presentation Manager version combines features of
 XyWrite 3.55 and 4.0 and is still the fastest darn this out
 there for getting text on paper. It doesn't have many of the
 whiz-bangy graphical features of XyWrite for Windows (and
 doesn't include the thesaurus), but it is a real-live
 Presentation Manager application.

 We would be overjoyed if The Technology Group would reconsider
 its decision and release the OS/2 version of the editor to the
 masses. When we entered into our agreement with XyQuest (long
 before The Technology Group came into the picture) to create a
 PM v ersion of the editor, it was our intent to give the folks
 in Billerica a push to release the software as a mainstream PC
 application; we have absolutely no desire to have exclusive
 rights to the PM software.
 ==================================
 End of Excerpt
 ==================================
 Herb again...

 Sounds like a nice start to me. I'll bet it's a lot faster than
 any of the other OS/2-PM word processors out there...

 * KWQ/2 1.2d * Life is like death, only more active.
 ---
 * The Running Board *Bethesda, Md* 301-229-5623/5342
 * PostLink(tm) v1.11 RUNNINGA (#2) : RelayNet(tm)
 End of Herb Tyson