Re: XyWrite For OS/2

Robert: Thanks for the informative message on Xy for OS/2. So it really does
exist ... and not just a port, either. Fascinating! But why 16-bit and not
32-bit, I wonder? When Herb's source says it "combines features of XyWrite
3.55 and 4.0", I take that to mean the prototype doesn't yet have all the
functionality of 4.0. Yet, it's all very tantalizing; one wants to know more.
Is it multithreaded? I.e., can editing continue while the printer whines and
disk drives whir in the background? And does it have multi-level Undo for all
editing functions (not just Undelete). File-format compatibility with DOS and
XyWin? Can it use OS/2's High Performance File System? Can it be customized
with REXX scripts in addition to XPL? And does it offer a true character-based
draft mode in addition to a fast, clean graphical display for Wysiwyg editing?
Those are among the first features I'd look for in a full-blown PM word
processor, in addition to blazing raw speed.... Pity that we paying
subscribers to this BBS are relegated to the rumor mill and triple hearsay to
find out about developments such as this. If (as rumor has it) Ken Frank wants
our views on what features should go into a possible commercial release of
XyWrite for OS/2, why on earth wouldn't he visit his own BBS? *We* have to
write *him* on CompuServe? Gimme a break!