Re: XyWrite For OS/2

Steve, couldn' t agree with you more. Unfortunately, I made something like the
very same argument two years ago, and it fell on deaf ears. TTG's position is
that they have to apply their limited resources where the market is, and that's
M$Win, howsoever ghastly it may be. I think it's a stupid position. At this
moment there are more than 4 million copies of OS/2 in use. Many of us would
like a native WP application. The M$Windows marketplace is saturated with WP
apps. If M$Win users are already using WordPerfect or Word or whatever, why
would they switch to XyWrite? It doesn't make sense. Whereas, there is
literally no competition in OS/2 apart from DeScribe, which puts people off
simply because they never heard of it. People would love a fast WP. But they
gotta fix up the problem with the keyboard first, it's simply unuseable in
present form (the GUI Win version, I mean).

 The real problem that OS/2 keeps hitting is that its greatest strength, its
cross-platform compatibility and high optimization, is also a weakness from a
developer's standpoint -- because a company like TTG figures that if they
develop for M$Win, they're also running under OS/2 (i.e. Win-OS/2).

 I think we should also keep another likelihood in mind also, namely that the
port that TTG probably made to OS/2 is probably just a Mirrors-style port ala
the WordPerfect 5.2 port. I mean, it just doesn't seem likely that TTG wrote a
real native OS/2 version. More likely they just ran Windows code through a
software translator. That would not make anyone happy.