Long file names

  Robert Holmgren asks about truncated long file names re W95. A
brief answer, given my very limited knowledge (you see, Robert,
I'm humbled!), in case no one better informed than I responds is:
  W95 allows you to use long (very long) file names, even, I
*believe* with spaces in them. But W95 has had to be designed to
be backwards- compatible with W 3.1 and good ol' DOS, so how can
DOS handle a long file name created within W95? Solution: it
makes up a DOS version of the long file name, which is the long
file name truncated and with a tilde followed by a number (I
think I have this right). E.g., the DOS
(and Windows 3.1) version of the name "correspondence of May 1"
would be "corres~01.xxx" -- it doesn't have the extension "xxx":
I put that in because I don't know what extension it really uses
(maybe it uses the extension you have in your long filename?).
  Don't sue me if the details of this aren't right.
  Harry Binswanger