Re: SmartWords

≪ This version and the 32 bit version to come are
primarily text editors. ≫

≪ I will have to check with our engineers to see if there
is any way for you to write VB routines to interact with our
engine. [...] Of course XPL is still operational. ≫ --Kenny

OK, fair enough. But a text editor with none of the data
base power that has impressed xylist subscribers who've
seen SmartWords demos? A text editor that offers xpl--
a language that didn't travel well to Windows--as the
only user programming option, not the VB knockoff you
led us to expect after you polled the list for opinions
on a new user language?

If the app doesn't excel as a gui word processor and
doesn't have the power one is used to in DOS xyW, beyond
a user-mappable kbd what's the point? Although this
release is little more than a maintenance update, TTG
didn't *have* to release it, so I appreciate the gesture--
and the price is right. But how disappointing.

Guess I misunderstood on 15 Dec when I took
	"[I] have also arranged with our vendor to offer
	a full set of new import-export filters as part
	of the package"
to mean they'd be included in the base price since you'd
already written on 26 Aug that
	"we will supply a filter to and from one word processor
	of your choice as part of the beta package. The full
	package will be available for an additional charge--
	probably $49."
If one regards the SW editor simply as a utility for
moving formatted files between Windows word processors
and DOS xyWrite, I suppose 50 bucks isn't a bad deal.
But how very disappointing. ... Ciao.		--a

	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: