Re: A quick question...?

  See reply at end....

----
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003, J. R. Fox wrote:
> "M.W. Poirier" wrote:
>
> >  (A XY4.018 question)
> >
> >  In the hectic pace at which I work I often find myself uninten-
> >  tionally pressing the wrong key(s) when in a footnote or endnote,
> >  and I lose the entire note, ...sometimes a rather long note. Is
> >  there a way to recover the note that has been lost in this fashion?
> >  I have noticed that there is nothing to undelete, since this is
> >  not viewed by the programme as a deletion. But can it be made to
> >  be viewed as a deletion?
> >
> >  In advance, thank you.
> >
> >  M.W. Poirier
>
> I haven't really made use of footnotes / endnotes, so I don't know the
> answer to this, but I'm amazed that such a simple error could make text
> just disappear. That doesn't seem characteristic of Xy. This ignorance
> may be a byproduct of not really knowing how the Notes feature works. I
> was always confused about that business with the 1/3 window, which said
> something like 'Hit F3 to Close.' I mean, what the heck was that partial
> window anyway ? A real, "ordinary" window, only sized way down ? Would
> it have shown up in the Active Window Directory, assuming you could look
> there while the window was still open ? Are you sure there's not still
> some window open (that maybe you aren't aware of) where this text
> continues to live, until you Quit Xy ? Or perhaps it is still there
> somewhere -- in EXPANDED Mode -- but you can't see it unless you looked
> there.
>
> Jordan

 I should have mentioned that my problem arises before my "first save,"
 i.e., after I've been working in a note window for a few minutes, but
 before I save for the first time. I realize that the easy way to over-
 come this is for me to exit the note (in my case the exit keys are
 SHIFT + F1), and save it. But that is not always something that one
 wants to do in the course of composing. It breaks one's train of
 thought on a crucial issue, ...sometimes. So I was sort of hoping that
 someone would tell me that the contents of a note survived somewhere,
 even if one had not yet saved the note for the first time. I know for
 sure that the contents are not saved in different window, and it is
 certainly not the case that an unplanned exit of the note window will
 leave any material in the undelete area.

 Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but I don't think that they are
 quite what I am look for inasmuch as nearly all of them mean breaking
 my train of thought in order to save the note. I'll just have to be a
 little more careful when I'm working within a note, ...but it sure is
 awful easy to exit a note without really intending to. When this
 happens with a note that has already been saved, it's not so bad, since
 one only loses the changes. But when it happens with a note that has
 yet to be changed, one loses everything. Again thanks.

 M.W. Poirier