Re: OT: "literally"

On Jun 9, at 6:28 PM, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
David Auerbach wrote:
though litosis is not an entirely undesirable device.
Was that a deliberate--and witty, with its echo of disease
conditions--coinage or a just a typo? When I studied rhetoric, it
was litotes.
Half-and-half? I was tired, couldn't quite remember the noun
(litotis? litotes?) thought of using litotic. Then said, screw it,
I'll go for inflammation of the litotes (along with the immediately
following example of perfectly good litotes.)
 But you know, I didn't have enough Latin for the judgin'.

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Box 8103
Raleigh, NC 27695-8103 http:// slowfoodusa.org auerbach@xxxxxxxx http:// slowfoodtriangle.org