I want to go geek .. DOS subsystem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Holmgren"
 We can take our
installations anywhere, to any machine, and if the machine has a
DOS subsystem, our installations will load out of the box.

This is the type of thing I sure wish I had the smarts to know.
My XyWrite CD includes the original DOS Dir I worked on. I put it on the CD to get back use of my then printer (no driver available for Win98) .... I got it working by loading the DOS dir ... I had to switch plugs to use the cheap little color Canon that came "free" with Win98 computer ... (I have long since quit using that dot matrix -- not because it quit working -- other factors)....
When I was troubleshooting loss of FullScreen on this laptop with XP, I
tried it both with and without that DOS Dir . Did not make any difference.
Now, what I wish I knew -- ... Could we freeze a DOS subsystem? ....
provide our own, by capturing what works? My gut feeling is that of course
there is something in the operating system that makes that DOS directory
work ... and it would NOT be standalone portable ... Right?

Marge