Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?

Good morning all. Comments interspersed below.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Holmgren"
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:10 PM
Subject: Re: I want to go geek .. and VPC?
** Reply to message from "mhchoate"
on Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:27:52 -0500
I just want to freeze a working XyWrite environment, and not have to worry
about it again! That may not be possible, but I think it should be.

Why don't you create a CD with a XyWrite installation on it that
is "portable", i.e. that loads without any hard-coded
drive:\path dependencies? It ought to work on any machine,
anywhere.
That's what I thought I had (a portable XyWrite on CD) ... I'd loaded it
successfully on several computers ... Win 98, Win2K, and a friend's XP. It
wasn't until this system (XP on Gateway laptop) that I lost FullScreen --
and though it might not always be a problem, it sure was on this
computer.... I guess I'd have to give a demo to prove it but there isn't any
kind of XyWrite convention, is there (annual meeting, with lotsa booze)?
(I'm not saying I lost the possibility of working -- I lost the level of
productivity I needed, to an UNACCEPTABLE degree.)
You should definitely acquire some of Siebert's
pseudo-"FullScreen" window fonts, so that, in the event the
machine you work on doesn't support true FullScreen, you'll have
a very close approximation of it.
This sounds great. Hmm... will put this on my ToDo list, somewhere in the
middle of the prioritization ....

Frankly, I can't see why the
absence of FullScreen would in any way interfere with your
Tuesday deadline...

Can we plan that convention?

What I'm talking about ought to be very close to the BartPE
plugin that I intend to create. Will it be possible, though, to
create a plugin that will work for everybody? The problem is
the infinite variety of individual installations (keyboards,
DFLs, etc etc). If everybody was already portable, it would be
a piece of cake. And EVERYBODY *should* already be portable!
Carl and I have been portable for years. We can take our
installations anywhere, to any machine, and if the machine has a
DOS subsystem, our installations will load out of the box.

The BartPE plugin will be a model of portability, which others
might wish to adapt to their systems.

I didn't read the BartPE thread closely ....... will go back and read it.
Let me explain why I'm not acting on all these interesting suggestions immediately (not just yours, Robert, but others', both onlist and offlist) --I do not have a current problem that needs solving. I am flying along nicely on this Gateway laptop, with FullScreen, thanks I think to BigFix, and my Win98 Dell desktop is still working (I'm just afraid of it until I get its innards dusted) so it's my emergency backup (at least in my mind). ....
I'm thinking ahead ... and wanting to act before what I need becomes
unavailable by Obsolescence.
But believe me, I am saving all these messages and going to study them and
Act, when I can.

Thank you all!
Marge