Re: Buying a Notebook (non-XW)

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>  I think any new notebook I bought, I would insist that it
come with
> Warp preinstalled. But then, I'm an OS/2 bigot. 8-)

We noticed! I'm rethinking my entire computer configuration. I'm
looking at the materials for Xy-Win, but I'm leaning more
towards WP for Windows. I'm staying away from OS/2 because I'm
tired of dead-end software. I agree it's a superior product, but
I don't see the applications in the works, and I don't think IBM
has the market savvy to make it work. Heck, they don't even load
it on their own machines.

I'm reluctant to leave the XyWrite world, where I've been happy
for a number of years. But I worry that TTG isn't serious about
marketing the product, or supporting it. I'm using Xy 4.014/DOS;
it has a number of bugs TTG has acknowledged, but apparently has
no intention of fixing. There are a number of functions that
simply don't work. I worry that if I switch to Xy/Win, I'll be
in the same fix. WP, on the other hand, is going to keep
developing new versions and fixing problems.

For years, I've used niche software--technologically superior,
but weak on the marketing side. I'm getting tired of being
orphaned by software manufacturers; hence my decision to try
Windows instead of OS/2, and my traiterous thoughts about
abandoning XyWrite.

jb