Re: Windoze questions

hseaver@xxxxxxxx (Harmon Seaver) writes
 >  As a side note -- I spent 3 hours last night in the UW-Milwaukee's
 >vaunted SLIS computer lab learning about -- guess what? -- windoz, and
 >windoz apps. Even the computer illiterates (most of the class) were
 >groaning over the glacial slowness of windoz, it's major problem with
 >responding to clicking on a icon (average about 3-5 tries, whereas
 >OS/2 usually hits the first time) and the crashing of Mosaic over
 >and over. And the graphics --- people were saying "What's the point
 >of this -- it's so bad, why subject kids to it?"
 >  I was smirking all night. 8-) Now I have to start working on
 >the staff to convert to Warp!

Well, if you can't convert them to Warp (& my experiences with OS
2 v 2.0x suggest it may be difficult to set up in a lab setting)
you might, if you're feeling philanthropic, suggest they learn
about Windoze tuning. There are ways to speed it up (ditch
backgrounds, cut down on fonts, get rid of fancy screensavers
make sure your swap file is permanent, ditch progman etc).
=======
Rob Rittenhouse  RRITTENHOUSE@xxxxxxxx  * Your new machines may simply
Associate Professor  Computer Science   * suggest new drudgeries.
McMurry University   Abilene TX 79697-0686 * Brecht, Galileo