Installation of XyWin under Win9x

As some users in the list seem to have difficulties with installing
XyWin under Win9x here is the - I hope! - ultimate installation
tutorial (or at least a description of what works on my computer):

Just start Win9x in the Protected Mode (Press "Ctrl" or "F5" during
boot up until Windows welcome screen appears - alternatively, press
"F8" during boot up to evoke the Windows start menu and select
Protected Mode manually). Once in the Protected mode, installation is
either possible from disks or from a temp directory in which all the
disk's content has been previously dumped. No further burning of joss
sticks, waiting for full moon, voodoo, public obeisances of TGRP or
Billy Boy, applying of cold compresses or ritual dances are necessary.
Reboot to normal Windows after installation. (But what, for heaven's
sake, is a "normal" Windows? I've never seen one!)

It appears that under Win 2000 installation from the disks (or a temp
directory) is not possible, even not if Win 2000 has been started in
the Save Mode. Therefore, one has to install the program under a
previous Windows version and then copy the program folder (i. e. C:\XW
if the folder name proposed by the installation routine has not been
changed) together with it's sub-folders to the Win 2000 system. All
necessary files are usually within these folders. A shortcut on the
desktop and/or a Start Menu item have/has to be created manually.

WinME or WinXP have not been tested by me but I expect them to behave
like Win 2000, i. e. direct installation on these operating systems is
not possible.